McKenzie Shoulder Therapy
Why the McKenzie Method?
Imagine you have the power to control your pain and the ability to do your work and daily activities. Save time and money with the McKenzie Method. Free yourself from excessive therapy sessions, expensive equipment/testing and, most importantly, surgery!
1. Are there periods in the day when you have no pain? Even 10 minutes?
2. Do you only have pain when you move your arm and shoulder?
3. Are you generally better with your arm at your side or supported across your body?
4. Are you generally worse during or after prolonged periods of holding your arms in a raised position such as driving, painting, welding, hedge trimming, etc.?
5. Is your pain produced or made worse when you lie on your affected shoulder?
6. Is the pain confined to areas above the elbow?
7. If you have pain in the upper or lower arm, does it sometimes stop completely even though you may still have pain in the shoulder?
8. Have you had several episodes of shoulder pain over the past months or years?
9. Is your shoulder pain-free between episodes?
10. Are you able to move your arm freely in all directions without pain between episodes?
How It Works
MDT is a comprehensive, evidence-based system of assessment, diagnosis, treatment and prevention strategies aimed at patient education and independence.
Known to show results in as little as two to three visits
Assessment-driven, individualized treatment plans
Cost efficient – a management system minimizing the need for expensive tests or procedures: no needles, no injections, no surgery.
STEP 1: Assess – Your active involvement in the evaluation process starts with a clinician taking a comprehensive history followed
by repeated movement testing to assist in diagnosis and provide a clear direction for treatment
STEP 2: Treat – Specific exercises defined in the assessment are active, not passive, therapy strategies that lead to more successful management. Hands-on manual skills of the clinician are used only when necessary.
STEP 3: Prevent – By learning how to self- treat your current problem, you gain valuable knowledge and skills to minimize the risk of recurrence.
Take control of your pain, empower yourself and get back to the life you love!
If you answered YES to four or more questions, there is a great chance you can benefit from MDT treatment strategies.
Self-treatment principles are the ultimate goal, but hands-on manual techniques may be necessary initially to assist with your recovery. It is recommended that a comprehensive assessment by a certified MDT provider be your first step to ensure you are gaining the full benefit of specific therapeutic exercise.
You can also learn more from one of McKenzie’s self-help books. Treat Your Own Shoulder and others in the series are available at www.OPTP.com
Shoulder problems are often referred to in different ways, including tendonitis, rotator cuff strain or tear, impingement syndrome, frozen shoulder, capsulitis or arthritis.
It can be difficult to identify a specific source of the pain due the complex nature of the shoulder and its close involvement of the neck. Seeking a comprehensive assessment by a certified MDT provider as your first step is essential to identify the source of the problem.
See how McKenzie Therapy can Help with