McKenzie Neck Therapy
Why the McKenzie Method?
Imagine you have the power to control your pain and the ability to do your work and daily activities. Save time and money with the McKenzie Method. Free yourself from excessive therapy sessions, expensive equipment/testing and, most importantly, surgery!
1. Are there periods in the day when you have no pain? Even 10 minutes?
2. Are you generally worse when sitting for prolonged periods or on rising from the sitting position?
4. Do you sometimes experience pain across the shoulders or into the shoulder blades?
5. Do you sometimes experience pain down the arm and into the hand with symptoms like the feeling of “pins and needles” or numbness in the fingers?
6. Do you have periodic headaches?
7. Have you had several episodes of neck pain over the past months or years?
8. Are you able to move your head fully in all directions without pain between episodes?
9. Are you pain-free between episodes?
10. If you have pain in the scapula, or upper/lower arm, does it sometimes stop completely, even though you may still have pain in the neck?
How It Works
MDT is a comprehensive, evidence-based system of assessment, diagnosis, treatment and prevention strategies aimed at patient education and independence.
Known to show results in as little as two to three visits
Assessment-driven, individualized treatment plans
Cost efficient – a management system minimizing the need for expensive tests or procedures: no needles, no injections, no surgery.
STEP 1: Assess – Your active involvement in the evaluation process starts with a clinician taking a comprehensive history followed
by repeated movement testing to assist in diagnosis and provide a clear direction for treatment
STEP 2: Treat – Specific exercises defined in the assessment are active, not passive, therapy strategies that lead to more successful management. Hands-on manual skills of the clinician are used only when necessary.
STEP 3: Prevent – By learning how to self- treat your current problem, you gain valuable knowledge and skills to minimize the risk of recurrence.
Take control of your pain, empower yourself and get back to the life you love!
Just like in your back, it is important to consider the position of your neck. Poor posture causes ligaments to overstretch and if they are overstretched for prolonged periods of time, pain will likely result. This can occur from: bad sitting position (slouched, hunched and the biggest culprit: protruded neck position), awkward or strained positions when sleeping or lying, and strained working positions, such as cramped spaces or situations where the head and neck are stuck in one position for an extended period of time.
If neck pain is resulting from postural stresses, some very simple, specific exercises can be your solution to eliminate pain and prevent future episodes.
3. Are you generally worse when inactive and better when on the move?
If you answered YES to five or more questions, there is a great chance you can benefit from MDT treatment strategies.
Self-treatment principles are the ultimate goal, but hands-on manual techniques may be necessary initially to assist with your recovery. It is recommended that a comprehensive assessment by a certified MDT provider be your first step to ensure you are gaining the full benefit of specific therapeutic exercise.
You can also learn more from one of McKenzie’s self-help books. Treat Your Own Shoulder and others in the series are available at www.OPTP.com
See how McKenzie Therapy can Help with